Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Out of the ICU!!

Deana and I visited with mom today and we left there feeling so much better...
First of all when we got there she was very upset and did not want the nurse to come in. We could not figure out why she was so concerned about the nurse coming in...well come to find out he (Ken, the nurse) had made some comment, "Oh you are one of those Mormons?" I am not sure what else he said but he hurt mom's feelings. She kept saying he was mean to her. So Deana called the floor director and we told her the situation and she assured us that Ken would not be working with mom anymore. She was relieved.
We kept pushing the eating issue. She kept saying, "I want to go home. Take me home." We found out she was actually mad at us for leaving her there. We let her know that we would never do anything to hurt her and we want what is best for her and eating right now is what is important. She was complaining about her stomach hurting and her back hurting. She even told us to STOP talking about eating. It hurt my feelings and she could see that. So she eventually said she would try an ice chip. She ate it just fine. The nurse let us try water and that worked just fine and then the nurse let us try cranberry juice which mom was excited about. The ice and water tasted awful to her and the juice burned her throat but hey, her swallowing muscles are working. YEAH!
The nurse took off a lot of the stuff that mom was hooked up to and said she was getting her own room. We were elated. Being in the ICU has been really hard for mom, not only is it extremely loud (beeping, nurses laughing, doors opening and closing ,moo cow's next door, ducks quacking and people on the intercom) but mom has also been very concerned when the nurses and doctors are talking outside her room, she is worried it is about her. She was relieved every time we informed her it was not about her but another patient. (mom said the man next door sounded like a moo cow and her IV pump sounded like a duck. We had some good laughs with mom today.)
So now we need her to get strong and to be able to eat food, which I think will happen soon. She still has the tube going into her stomach but they will take that out as soon as she can eat solid foods with no problems. Working with the physical therapist is hard work, she says, but she will get stronger.
As far as the sepsis and the acute tubular injury - those were treated with antibiotics. They still do not know where the sepsis came from. That is frustrating.
So hopefully tonight she will get some good sleep being in her own room!!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Wonderful news!!!! Thank you Beth for keeping us informed. Can you send us the Hospital and room number information? Can we send flowers and cards now?

Shila said...

Yay! Wow I know it has been hard for you (her kids) because it has been difficult with the communication between you and her since she hasn't been able to talk. I am sure that she has been scared not knowing and not being able to tell anyone how she feels or what she thinks. I am so glad that it sounds like she is comming back and getting through this. Deana, hope is still there, keep up your prayers and faith. God is listening. I love you.

Susan Earl said...

You guys make me laugh! It sounds like our Linda is coming back. The "moo cow" and duck sounds are something she would say.
Thanks for answering my questions Beth.

Susan Earl said...

I am very happen to read that Linda is getting better. I haven't written, but have certainly had Linda in my prayers. This event has been hard on the family, but I believe it has made you all stonger. Good luck to all of you in this emotional time. P.S. get me "Ken-the-nurse's" full name and I'll take care of him Oren Porter Rockwell style :) Doug